Thursday 14 March 2013

99....98....97....96

The last 2.5 weeks have been incredibly busy; very little by way of knitting or studying actually happened. Separation anxiety from my knitting settled in after 3 days, oddly enough I don't get separation anxiety from my textbooks though. To relieve this I did what always works: I daydreamed about owning sheep (I think just one, but maybe two. I wasn't sure if it would be sheeps since that sounds funny so I left it ambigius). See, I have big dreams for these sheep, I would pet them and brush their hair until they had nice luxurious wool and then I would shear them and spin the wool and knit lovely things.

Just a few minor problems exist with this plan. I have no where to put a sheep, much less sheeps. I don't know what they eat or drink (?water...or do they need variety?) or if they need to be walked (since I have no backyard maybe they would need to be walked. But how would I get a leash on it?) or actually how to shear one. Can I just chase it around with my fiancee's head shaver thing getting little strips at a time? Would it be safe on the leash if I had a shaver in my hand?

I also don't know how to spin.

I feel like these are all relatively minor problems I could overcome.

These are the things I think about when I'm on call and I'm hitting the refresh button for the thirtieth time waiting for bloodwork to magically appear. Hilariously, many members of the public have recently expressed shock at the resident duty hour discussion going on right now (mostly on facebook but sometimes on CBC). It seems weird to me when people don't know that we work 26hour shifts (or longer on the more demanding specialties, no idea how these residents do it for 5 years....they actually deserve medals in my opinion). At least I can go home and dream of sheep.

2 comments:

  1. You totally need sheep. And spinning is easy. It's not easy to do well, but even small children can make passable yarn with a drop spindle. Come on down here and I'll show you.

    And it cracks me up about people's opinion of our hours. Trust me, it's often not better in private practice when you're "done", whatever that means. My family is still astounded when they come to visit and I have to work weekends and holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at a dinner and a person in allied health turned to me and said "I just don't know how you guys work those long 12 hour shifts." It was hard not to laugh

    I think I will take up spinning once I graduate and move into a house and have a bit more space. The yarn alone takes up all of the knitting space I am allowed right now!

    ReplyDelete