Monday 12 November 2012

Go on, fight the grizzly off with the knitting needle


Recently I participated in a survival course... for various reasons. I was absolutely shocked and delighted to discover several knitting skills that actually transform into survival skills. Who knew all these years you weren't just knitting, you were preparing!

Knitting improves manual dexterity (I'm assuming, I don't actually have a study to quote to back this up). Manual dexterity will help with a variety of tasks such as feathering wood and lighting finicky matches. If you knit outside when it's cold the ability to use your hands in subzero temperatures will help too.

The Russian join could be used to secure 2 cords into 1 long cord....just think what you could do with one long cord! 
(I really have no idea, I didn't pay stellar attention to the entire course...but they kept mentioning the importance of rope).

Braiding, as in the braided join, could be used to join 2 cords or just braid 3 pieces together to make them stronger (same purpose as above).

Four double pointed needles, joined to knit in the round, resemble the configuration of the way you pile logs for a fire. You put them 2 by 2 to make a square then put kindling in the middle and use your already weather savvy hands to light it with the stupid finicky matches (I'm not a camper, for various reasons).

Honestly, I think the knit kit alone would serve more purpose than my skills. With scissors and a thread cutter and something to count steps with, it’s practically the same as a Leatherman multi-tool.

And last but not least, the items you knitted for others that are hopefully by your side in said disaster will have created goodwill so they can get you out of the situation, since you're a knitter and a doctor and have no real world skills (not talking about myself, of course).

Stay safe,
TheCdnKnittingDoctor

No comments:

Post a Comment