Friday 9 November 2012

I know the way

I know every exercise avoidance technique that exists. It's really not that I'm completely lazy, I did work hard to get into medical school and am still doing so as a resident. I just hate working out. Much like plane travel, I have carefully crafted a set of guidelines learned from past experiences. And of course by guidelines, I mean excuses.

I have been known to:
Claim the gym was closed when I pulled into the parking lot although there were clearly people inside working out.

Not find a parking spot so drive back home instead (I live a block from my gym and know there is a parking situation).

Go to the gym. Find a mat to "stretch" on then fall asleep and use up all my dedicated gym time napping.

Go on an elliptical with something to read and then get dizzy from reading and bouncing so just stand on the elliptical reading (took my gym partner 10 minutes to realize I was no longer moving).

Of course the usual excuses: no time, no clean gym clothes, no new music to listen to, wait until the gym is closed, go at peak times so there is no free equipment.

So of course the real reason I knit is probably evident by now, but I'll say it anyway. I knit to procrastinate. Trying to avoid all of the unpleasant things in life such as cleaning, answering emails, studying, and working out is quite achievable if you are knitting. It is easy to rationalize because knitting is so productive, there is a finished product! Clearly I am a product knitter, not a process knitter.

But now I'm running out of excuses. I have an iPhone with medical podcasts, so I can't use the excuse that I have to study. I have nice gym clothes. I can walk to the gym. And I've had lots of knitting time recently.

So....back to the drawing board.

My latest procrastination project: Monkey


2 comments:

  1. Ooh! Monkey socks - adventurous! Stephanie Pearl McPhee had those on her blog a few weeks ago. Good luck! Still haven't finished those socks that I used on the CaRMS tour... 2 years ago ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I linked to the pattern off of her blog! I trust her judgement with most projects, ever since I linked to a pattern for a baby sweater and it turned out to be just what I was looking for...unfortunately I've made no progress on the socks since this post. Don't give up hope, I haven't...

    ReplyDelete