Monday 5 November 2012

How (not to) Train the Dragon


Today was my first day using voice to text dictation for my clinical notes. It did not go well, although it was partially my fault as I had not actually learned how to train the software and instead decided to just jump right in. You can see the text being produced across the screen and I gazed in horror as it typed out “baby German” when I said “Betaderm”, and “vaginal puree” when I said “vaginal pruritis”.  Apparently Dragon software wanted my patients to apply a baby German for their vaginal puree. I knew it was going to be a long day in the vulvar clinic.

This dictation method went on for several hours until I eventually clued in that I could just mute the microphone and type my note, as I am used to doing. As a fast typist, my mother having forced me to learn on a typewriter at a very young age, this went rather well. I cannot say I am a convert to the voice to text dictation.

My dislike of this new software is very much in congruence with my overall reluctance to embrace new technology. My first iPhone was the iPhone 4s and I use a netbook rather than a full size computer. The netbook, Lucy, struggles to keep up most days. I print all of my notes to study off of and have repeatedly argued in favour of printing resources with the higher-ups in my Department. I understand the saving the trees argument but I simply cannot study off of a computer screen. Yes I am aware you can highlight text, but Lucy didn’t seem to like the yellow and pink marker I drew across her screen.

So I will continue to fight the technology influx while downloading the “Find iPhone” app (my iPhone recently went on an independent adventure to a different province).

3 comments:

  1. The group I worked for previously toyed around with Dragon for awhile, it was amusing at best. My favorite was the discharge diagnosis of "paroxysmal ejaculation" instead of "paroxysmal atrial fibrillation".

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol awesome, for all those times your elderly patients are unexpectedly ejaculating. Some of the staff at my clinic like Dragon, but they are slow typers. I find the other problem is that you have to set it up on each computer, so for residents who bounce around to different clinics all the time it is a waste of 2 precious minutes.

    ReplyDelete