Thursday 22 November 2012

TLC

There is an unwritten hierarchy in medicine that relates to taking care of the younger members. The junior residents buy the Med students coffee, the senior residents buy the med students and juniors lunch, and the staff buy the med students, juniors and seniors dinner on call. Not every day of course, just on occasion.

On some teams/services this doesn't happen, and I've noticed a definite trend on those services to the younger members not being as cared for as I would like to see. To that end I have developed a set of rules for my junior team members:

You should not be more oliguric than your patients (I know where each water station in the hospital is)

You should not eat worse than your patients (unfortunately I also know where all of the vending machines with my favourite chip flavours are)

You should sleep about as well as your patients do

They're pretty simple; I'm not a big fan of complicated lists (hence why I did not go into internal medicine). Basic TLC goes a long way with your junior team members, just like it does with your patients. Hopefully I will remember these when I'm a staff....one day....

No comments:

Post a Comment