Sunday 18 November 2012

What not to do post call (a way shorter list than what to do)

I've just finished my last obstetrical call shift, a major milestone for many residents to be sure. In true resident fashion, it was crazy busy and I was a bit run ragged, although excellent outcomes all around. At handover I was more than a little weird from lack of sleep and having breakfast with a friend, albeit delightful and delicious, prolonged sleep just a touch long. I eventually slept and then woke up at 4pm....in need of food. This is really never a good scenario.

After all these years of call I am slowly comprising my list. The list of what not to do post call. It is crucial, one bad post call day can really make or break the next section of life (and by life I of course am referring to the next residency block that I am on). So here is my list so far.

List of things never to do post call
Not in order of importance

1. Go grocery shopping unsupervised (unless I want to repeat the week of potato chip dinners)

2. Make major life decisions

3. Operate heavy machinery

4. Internet shop (same sorta deal as the grocery shopping...I think my impulse control is eradicated by lack of sleep)

5. Start a new knitting project (I seem to have to learn this lesson every post call day....is there no limit to how many times I can rip back a new project because I cannot comprehend the cast on or joining instructions)

6. Clean out your closet for donation (pajamas and scrubs being the only reasonable clothes I can think to wear at the time, but my closet being painfully empty after)

7. Walk the dog that likes to jump off the curb just as a car is coming (not sure if he is suicidal or just really stupid, either way I don't want to test my reflexes)


It's a work in progress. I am sure future blocks will result in the list lengthening as I mess up my life further. I should probably add "write a new blog post" to the list since I can predict some very weird blog posts coming up....oh well.

Slight progress on the Monkey socks
Monkey




No comments:

Post a Comment